Friday, September 22, 2006

Satirist Reports Job Getting More Difficult

Noted satirist and author Max Gillies reported today that it was getting 'exponentially harder' to come up with a topic to ridicule.

"It's getting to be next to impossible," said Mr. Gillies today. "I mean, there was a time when I could always come up with a headline like "President Reagan Declares War On Philatelists" and fill in the details. Now, I can publish "Bush Declares 'Screw the Budget' Initiative" and two days later I read that the bastard has announced a manned mission to Mars."

According to a Pew Research Study, Americans' ability to detect satire or sarcasm has been dropping for decades. Recent surveys have shown that stories like "Angel's Bones Discovered In Satanic Stewpot", "Luxembourg Conquers France", and "Bush Announces Support For Mid-East Peace" were accepted without question by a majority of the US public.

"Nope, there's no place for a satirist in a world where Hugo Chavez is applauded in the UN, Al Gore runs a network aimed at hip teenagers and Arnold Swarzenegger, that swine, stands for family values", complained Mr Gillies. "I mean, how can America still be fouled by the stinking breath of Ann Coulter?"

No comments: