Aphorisms, adages, chestnuts and maxims: this is the verbal shorthand that allows us to communicate feelings and ideas in a few pithy words.
I was talking to a teen last week and told her to 'make hay while the sun was shining'; in return I got a 'what the hell?' look. After recalibrating for age and experience, I told her that you have to "sell out when your app is hot" and got an 'ahhh' of understanding.
Anyone else have a similar experience?
I hereby submit the following starter list of digital aphorisms for those wishing to communicate with the younger generation:
- People with public Facebook profiles shouldn't post under the same name at www.XXXhardcore dating.com.
- A single hacked terminal can infect the network.
- A bad coder always blames his programming language.
- A committed Bidder is worth two Watchers.
- Caught between a 404 error and a gateway timeout
- A watched modem never connects